Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Viral Videos


When was the last time that you heard the word "viral?" Was it used in a context of health, or was it mixed in with the context of media and online videos? I recently asked my neighbor, who is in her late 70's "What is a viral video?" Her response, "Isn't that one of those things that doctors use to spread the knowledge about a bug that is going around." I then continued to try to explain what a viral video was. "It is an online video that becomes popular due to people sharing the video through Facebook or email." She cut me off and said, "You mean the one about the pooping unicorn?! I laughed forever when my girlfriend sent me that one, I just watched it over and over again!" I couldn't help but shake my head and laugh along with her.

After the experience with my neighbor, I could not help but to think about what defines viral videos and what makes them so "Viral.” As I did the research I found a few things that help a video go viral. Think about the last time you shared a video online. What was your thought process when watching the video? I am pretty sure you were not looking blankly at the screen because the video had no relevance to you. You were probably excited to share it; you wanted other people to feel the same emotion(s) that you felt while watching the video. Viral videos go “Viral” by the amount of viewers they have, the mentions on social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter, and how long they are remembered.

Webtrends gives us 10 tips to going viral:
1 – Focus on current events and trends
2 – Make a video
3 – Pay attention to keywords and tags
4 – Get noticed by someone big
5 – Start a contest
6 – Use Humor
7 – Be Shocking and Controversial
8 – Use photos and visual content
9 – Submit to Reddit
10 – Don’t be boring!

Have you ever created a video that has gone “Viral?” If so, please share. What are some of your favorite viral videos? Put the link(s) in the comments!





http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/what-makes-a-video-viral/62414

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_video

http://webtrends.about.com/od/howtoguides/a/Viral-Online.htm


3 Comments:

Blogger http://karlielinton.wordpress.com said...

Great post! I really liked the way you organized it, made it very easy to read. I also loved the experience you shared with your neighbor, it made your post really relatable. good work!

1:15 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I liked the steps you shared about how to create a viral video! I think that controversial posts really do create a lot of traffic. Thanks for sharing!

7:15 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I liked the route you took with this blog, to talk about how to make a viral video, and things to make it successful. I have to admit, I wasn't 100% sure what a viral video was before this assignment came out. I would have guessed that it is something similar to what it was, but it would have been an uncertain guess. The 10 steps outlined in your blog were interesting, and those videos that are viral do use those very steps. Great read!

7:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home